- Concentration: The thinking person’s exercise – By becoming aware of your mind-body connection, you will find it easier to establish a connection with your muscles – understanding how they move and work, and the more benefits you will gain from your workouts.
- Centering: By being aware of the muscles of the core (the Pilates Powerhouse), you will strengthen all of your bodies’ muscles in the correct way and help them to function and develop more efficiently.
- Control: In Pilates, slow and controlled is the only way to ensure perfect form. Control, rather than intensity or repetition is emphasised to gain the maximum benefits.
- Breathing: Controlling your breath by filling your lungs and completely emptying them as you perform each exercise helps activate your muscles, prevent tension and keep you focused.
- Precision: Practice makes perfect. Performing exercises precisely is essential to ensure you gain the most benefit in the safest way.
- Flow: Each Pilates motion should be smooth and graceful. Apply a maximum grace, minimum effort attitude to your practice.
All of these principles relate to one another and are essential for a pure and balanced Pilates class. If focused on individually, you will be able to piece together what Pilates is about, realise how to get the most from your Pilates session and gain a deeper understanding of the mind-body connection that Pilates offers.